The Kenyan government continues to increase the availability of power to its citizen with a nearly double increase of electricity access, from 25% to 46% of households in 4 years, as reported by USAID in 2015. Efforts to improve the power dynamics and infrastructure has led the government to effect regulations that would gear up efforts toward sustainable buildings and move to solar as a reliable and affordable energy source.
Any premises in Kenya with a daily hot water requirement of more than 100 litres should have a solar water heating system. According to the Energy regulatory Commission (ERC), the body responsible for energy policies in Kenya, new buildings, alterations or extensions must be designed to incorporate solar water heaters.
The dead line for compliance is 25th November 2017.
Failure to comply with the new regulations will attract a fine of Kshs. 1million or a jail term of one year as stated in the legal notice dated April 4, 2012.
But what does these solar water heating regulations entail?
- All premises within the jurisdiction of a local authority with hot water requirements of a capacity exceeding one hundred litres per day shall install and use solar heating systems.
- A person who contravenes the provisions of this regulation commits an offense and shall, on conviction, be liable to a fine not exceeding one million shillings, or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year, or to both.
- A developer of a housing estate, a promoter of the construction, an owner of the premises or an Architect or an Engineer engaged in the design or construction of premises shall comply with these Regulation.
- An owner or occupier of premises that has a solar water heating system shall use and carry out the necessary operational maintenance and repairs required to keep the installation in good and efficient working condition – at SOLARVED we always offer our customers an option to a maintenance contract for a guaranteed long life of the product.
- An electric power distributor or supplier shall not provide electricity supply to premises where a solar water heating system has not been installed in accordance with these Regulations.
- The Commission or its agent may inspect premises, to investigate matters relating to the installation of solar water heating systems in premises, in accordance with section 24 of the Act. – SOLARVED is entrusted by ERC to install solar water heaters all over Kenya.
- A solar water heating system technician or contractor shall, upon commissioning a solar heating system, issue an installation certificate, the date of installation, capacity of the solar water heating system, details of the installer and warranty, for the premises – Let SOLARVED design, supply and install a solar water heating system for your project and issue you an ERC installation certificate to indicate compliance and readiness to a greener future.
Call us at +254740233034 and let SOLARVED work with your team on a solar water heating solution fit for your project. We offer solutions for Apartments, Individual home owners, hotels, Hospitals, swimming pools, schools…..
Read the ERC document here > ERC Solar Water Heating Regulations